It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Steam pulling EA games? 
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Re: EA pulling games from Steam
TRTL wrote:
Kucd wrote:
Well the problem is that Origins is competition in the sense that it's trying to get its share of the PC gaming market but is not direct competition to anyone. In fact Origins is a monopoly of EA titles since there will be more exclusive titles there where we have no other place to buy. Monopolies are not good and this gives EA the power to put the prices they want since nobody can buy it elsewhere, at least digitally. Not to mention they might not make as many sales as Steam does, etc. This is why I'm rather worried that EA might use and abuse this monopolistic position.

I agree with you. But now change the word EA to Steam and you will see we already have that problem. Steam is a monopoly now.

Quote:
"It’s unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis 2 from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA.

Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service – many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.

As you can see, if you are going to sell your game or content, it has to be on STEAM ONLY. Otherwise steam won't sell it. How is that NOT a monopoly????

I just don't see how people don't see Valve/Steam for what they really are... :? :?

Well, the difference is Steam sells games from all kinds of publishers and developers, EA is creating its own monopoly by making games exclusive where you cannot get them from elsewhere. Trust me I'm not a valve defender, in fact I am vocal in saying they are not the saints people make them out to be, but EA is doing something far different than Valve, they are making titles exclusive to their own platform, where you can only get them there digitally and that gives them the power to price them the way they want, make sales only when they want, etc. In short, EA is monopolizing its own games and is not selling any other games from other publishers, therefore creating a monopoly of its own titles. And that in the end is not good for anyone here.

This story is far from being told though, I don't think all is what it seems here and right now I'm not in favor of any, much will be said still and the truth may come out on top soon. And I urge you not to trust EA's word, since it is PR, and PR is often a definition for white lies, same with Valve. People will dig up what's really going on sooner or later.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:10 am
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post Re: Steam pulling EA games?
They are not making it the only place you can get them D2D are still selling and GAME downloads are still selling, its just steam that felt the need to take down Crysis :)

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Colonel
Colonel

Jo3_23 wrote:
They are not making it the only place you can get them D2D are still selling and GAME downloads are still selling, its just steam that felt the need to take down Crysis :)

Exactly. You can still pre-order BF3 at D2D.
http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/Navigatio ... ming+Soon&

So EA is NOT creating any kind of monopoly, nor are they taking any kind of choices away from us the gamers.

Steam is the one that is taking the choices away from us with their new terms of service. So if a developer would want to sell their product on another digital service besides steam, then steam won't sell their game. Now that they have sucked 3 million people into using their services, smaller companies are going to be hard pressed to not fold and let steam do it all. Now steam has created a monopoly and will push the smaller digital distributing companies out of business.

So all you gamers that are against big companies, monopolies, and root for the smaller guys, you need to stand up and shout against Steam. Start buying your games somewhere else. STEAM IS THE BAD GUY HERE........ :evil:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:32 am
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

TRTL wrote:
So all you gamers that are against big companies, monopolies, and root for the smaller guys, you need to stand up and shout against Steam. Start buying your games somewhere else. STEAM IS THE BAD GUY HERE........ :evil:

Until I hear from both sides, since Valve has not spoken yet, it is rather silly to do anything. If anything, EA has a long history of shafting PC gamers and that's what's playing against them until this story gets more developments and we get clarifications.

Not to mention EA has already said they wanted some titles to be exclusive to Origins, so that doesn't look good for them either. So, until this story gets more developments I'll assume both parties are in the wrong.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:46 am
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

update:

http://www.ea.com/news/demar-at-ea-we-believe-in-choice

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/07/ea-ex ... ppearance/

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:37 am
Colonel
Colonel

Well it's been almost a month now since this news first broke. Has anyone seen any news from Steam?

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:13 am
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Steam is being very quiet, just like when BRINK was taken off steam store for no reason. It was Bethesda and splash damage that told people what was going on, Steam just ignored the problem. :(

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2