It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Texture Streaming 
Post Texture Streaming
In the screenshot WITH texture streaming, you can see 3 helicopters, this might be misleading to some people, the two images aren't at the exact same frame, so the helicopters aren't in the non streaming screenshot because they aren't there, not because texture streaming is turned off, sneaky sneaky.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:44 am
Private 1st class
Private 1st class

Post Re: Texture Streaming
My whole take on this is one from the PC Gamers point of view. I am tired of the gaming companies holding us back so the kiddie console players can have the best possible fps. At this juncture why bother to go out a spend our hard earned dollars on the latest video card when the games are not advancing to match.

Did they forget about Dx10

Did the forget about Dx11

Sure folks will say well there are many PC Gamers whom cannot afford to upgrade to the systems that support these advances. Well I do remember a little game called CoD2 that gave you the option of running in Dx7 or Dx9.

There is a little company that is not waiting. Maybe some know of them.

http://www.crytek.com/

Could you imagine a CoD game running on an engine such as the one Crytek produces. Oh you thought the water in World at War looked good. Ha! Tired of your nades sticking to tree's... Ha!

I do give IW there just due. 4 was the first game to really perfect the "shoot through walls aspect". Wow does that bring realism into the game. Maybe we will see changes soon.

Do not get me wrong. I am really excited about MW2. It does look like another huge hit from IW.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Everyone shares your sentiments, but I think you have picked the wrong example in Crytek:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35419/Crytek-plots-future-on-consoles

Their destiny seems to be shaping up similar to IW's...started on PC, they got street cred...they got married, got a mortgage and now ended up on consoles. $.

Frankly, graphics-heavy games always seem to have the poorest gameplay. I really tried to give Crysis a try a year ago or so...it was so boring I thought i'd wait for the paper-back novel.

Streaming textures is for the eye-candy guys and for the developers who, I know, get off on pretty looking games. Give me a balanced game that rewards intelligent play. My mind will fill in the rest.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Totally agree with you Buster, I recently paid $2,500 for a new pc, and there have been no games that really push it besides Crysis, but that got old fast, seeing MW2 with Crysis graphics would be amazing. And Jock, I agree with you, I didn't like Crysis, only time I play it is when console gamer friends come over, I fire it up at the highest settings and watch them squirm :D.

Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:10 am
Private 1st class
Private 1st class

Yes, I agree the CoD series playability is unmatched. However, I still say the console adoration from the gaming company's is holding PC's back.

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 am
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Quote:
Yes, I agree the CoD series playability is unmatched. However, I still say the console adoration from the gaming company's is holding PC's back.

No doubt you are correct and it is written in the stars to be so from now until forever.Our universe has been fundamentally rocked by consoles.

IMHO Though:
I need good graphics to get me into the game to enjoy the great gameplay.Balance is what our COD series definitely has over other games.I have played the Crysis series and Farcry before that.One thing is certain.A game that requires a Rocketship PC to get a steady 30FPS can never be one of the top games since it takes masses to make it so.Crysis is gorgeous for sure but it also is a texture repetitive clone of Farcry that eats resources like a hog at a trough.So In one sense the limitations created by consoles allow mass popularity and at the same time frustrate us because we are no longer at the center of the universe.

As an aside: If you would like a near DX10 experience with XP while running Crysis try this Hack
"If you tweak the configuration files in \CVarGroups\ by copying and pasting the 'very high' settings (1st paragraph) IN PLACE of the 'high' settings (last paragraph) the game will load the highest possible settings even though the drop-down menus display 'high.'"

Oh Goodness I had a near DX10 experience :o And came back to tell about it. :D

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

good graphics are nice however if the gamePLAY is horrible then good or bad graphics won't make a difference

Shall be my brother."~Henry V

Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:24 am
Master Corporal
Master Corporal

60FPS on my 360 8-)

I dont care abt gfx...Competitive mods usually make sure the gfx factor goes down the drain=p(ProMOd)
Which i like btw....I want a game that has an amazing Single PLayer...and an even better(competitive) multiplayer mode.
And I Want IW to actually help out the multiplayer community.

Look at Valve(They support TF2 sooooo well)

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:24 pm
Major
Major

Great we really need textures loading in the background all the time with our 8gigs of ram and 1gig on the graphics card because we cant load the whole game like 3 times in there. :x

Maybe we can at least hope for maps that arent too small.

ibleedv20 wrote:
Quote:
I have played the Crysis series and Farcry before that.One thing is certain.A game that requires a Rocketship PC to get a steady 30FPS can never be one of the top games since it takes masses to make it so.

I never liked crysis maybe because of the low fps or because of the fact that I have to shoot 15 bullets into an enemy,
far cry 2 on the other hand is a lot better it runs a bit smoother and I can hit the emenies.
Maybe it runs better because its optimized for consoles like the xbox which would be a positive aspect of this

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:22 am
You all brought up a topic i think i might know someting about... Crysis Wars... Been a host a long time....Here is a post we dropped for our Clan sometime last year... Might apply some to this Thread...

Well.. it seems a last adjustment to the games config file and my game runs with out lag completely.. at least on my side..

Laggy players are laggy still... either ping or computer are lagging out... but mine does not..

Even in the most extreme fights.. steady as a rock.. really is nice..

Here is what we did..

OPENED "Notepad" and on a fresh page type the following:

r_TexturesStreaming = 2
r_displayinfo = 1

**Then SAVE**

Name of File must be: system.cfg

This file is now placed in the following location:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Electronic Arts/Crytek/Crysis Wars/Game/Config

Or...

C:/Program Files (x86)/Electronic Arts/Crytek/Crysis Wars/Game/autoexec

Just use one location.... both work fine

**Note that whole file goes into Config/autoexec and not within a file further inside them... Also, note the two parts of config script... one runs your FPS counter once the game starts... the other streams the textures..... if you wish the FPS counter removed the other script will run solo... but it is good to use to at lesat prove that it took effect**

What this does... Well.. from what i have been told.. it changes the way the game loads the textures...

Instead of loading a little on to the RAM... with the Default to "0" it loads as it needs more.... very laggy with Crysis..

"1" loads a medium amount... still a bit laggy...

But "2" loads the whole map if your RAM can take it... and thus no "In-Game/Player-side TEXTURE load-up lag.."

Seems a bit wierd that Crytek did not pass this little bit of knowledge on to us.... sure would have made my gaming experience alot better... esp. since most players of crysis wars have "monster" Rigs... and really could take advantage of the Streaming..

Is this Cheating...?

Really i dont think so... it is a setting... just like the FPS counter and is a variable within your game that must be on before the game starts.. Restart your game once setting is in place..

Hope it helps others...

D00M

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]