It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Trouble Brewing At Developer Infinity Ward 
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Trouble Brewing At Developer Infinity Ward
Security shows up unexpectedly at studio late tonight.

March 1, 2010 (IGN) - Famed Call of Duty developers Infinity Ward appear to be in some serious trouble with publisher Activision.

G4 reports a source close to the situation saying "a bunch of bouncer-types" showed up unexpectedly earlier tonight at the Los Angeles-based studio and refused to explain why they were there. The mood at the office during that time was described as "freaked out" and "confused." Details about what exactly went on tonight have yet to surface, however.

Two names being tossed around are Infinity Ward heads Vince Zampella and Jason West, both of whom were not seen by the rest of the staff throughout the day as they reportedly met with Activision this morning.

While there have been no confirmed reports of layoffs at this time, West's professional LinkedIn profile suggests he has been let go.

Infinity Ward community man Robert Bowling, meanwhile, apparently doesn't have much knowledge of the situation, only saying "I have no info" on his twitter account.

IGN has contacted both Activision and Infinity Ward for comment on the situation, so expect to hear more on this story tomorrow.

Update: A SEC filing from this morning by Activision perhaps paints a clearer picture of the situation. The filing states two unnamed, senior-level employees have been part of an internal HR investigation.

"The Company is concluding an internal human resources inquiry into breaches of contract and insubordination by two senior employees at Infinity Ward. This matter is expected to involve the departure of key personnel and litigation. At present, the Company does not expect this matter to have a material impact on the Company."

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

UPDATE 10:07 PM: More developments on the situation at Infinity Ward have come to light.

A screen shot surfaced from Infinity Ward CTO Jason West's Facebook page at Kotaku with the status update "Jason West is drinking. Also, unemployed." I can confirm from a source that's friends with West that update did actually come from West's account.

West also updated his Linkedin profile to appears to reflect a change in employment.

"President/Game Director/CCO/CTO Infinity Ward
January 2001 – March 2010 (9 years 3 months)"

UPDATE 11:11 PM: Infinity Ward community manager Robert Bowling has vaguely addressed the situation.

"I should also say, while I appreciate all the calls, tweets, messages and hearing my ringtone a lot," said Bowling on his Twitter account, "they're in vain - as I have no info."

UPDATE 11:20 PM: It turns out Activision may have showed their hand in this matter earlier today.

In an SEC filing made this morning, Activision cited a human resources investigation into "breaches of contract and insubordination by two senior employees at Infinity Ward."

Based on the information we currently have, at least one of those employees may have included Infinity Ward CTO Jason West. It's possible Vince Zampella is the other unmentioned employee.

"This matter is expected to involve the departure of key personnel and litigation," read the filing. "At present, the Company does not expect this matter to have a material impact on the Company."

UPDATE 12:02 AM: Double Fine's Tim Schafer, who had his own troubles with Activision over the release of Brutal Legend, recently commented on Twitter about what's happening between Infinity Ward and Activision.

"Getting mad at Activision for this kind of thing is like getting mad at an ape for throwing feces," said Schafer. "It's just how the beast communicates."

"I come in peace, I didn't bring CoD4, but I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you play MW2, I'll kill you all.
Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal LAN party leaders"

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:55 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Trouble Brewing At Developer Infinity Ward
Whatever else happens, this is going to come back to haunt them. And deservedly so.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:41 am
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post Re: Trouble Brewing At Developer Infinity Ward
The way this is going, CoD will be a dead franchise as long as Activision holds the reins.
They shafted the pc community once, let's hope we have all grown a bit wiser and know to stay away from them in the future.
Treyarch or no Treyarch.

"I come in peace, I didn't bring CoD4, but I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you play MW2, I'll kill you all.
Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal LAN party leaders"

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]